We are actively seeking a passionate and creative individual who loves the smell of baked goods as much as we do. We prefer someone with bakery experience, but a combination of food service experience and a passion for baking counts! We have a staff diverse in age, gender, race, language, and class; all are welcome here.
Please read the below before submitting your résumé and answers to the following questions in an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare baked goods for cases – cookies, Mexican breads, and cupcakes;
- Prep dough for churros, buñuelos, flores, and crepes;
- Fry churros, buñuelos, flores, and cook crepes, etc. for customers at point of service;
- Prep chocolate for various uses;
- Maintain kitchen equipment, wash dishware, and keep the kitchen clean;
- Take and relay accurate phone messages; and,
- Train Food Preparation Lead & Associates on dough preparation techniques and kitchen standards.
- High school diploma or equivalent; and,
- One (1) year baking experience in a bakery, café, or restaurant environment.
- Supervisory role or some managerial experience;
- ServSafe Certification;
- Fluent in Spanish a plus;
- Experience with electronic cash registers, Microsoft operating systems, Microsoft Office software, and standard office equipment a plus.
Skills & Abilities:
- Oral Communication: Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions;
- Problem Solving Skills: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information; develop alternative solutions; use reason even when dealing with emotional topics;
- Customer Service Skills: Manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments;
- Interpersonal Skills: Focus on solving conflict, not blaming; maintain confidentiality; listen to others without interrupting; keep emotions under control; remain open to others’ ideas and try new things; have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class, etc.;
- Professionalism: Ability to approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments; and
- Productivity: Complete work in a timely manner; and strive to increase productivity.
- Retail hours: Nights, weekends, early mornings and some holidays
- Frequent need to lift at least fifty (50) pounds;
- Ability to stand for long periods of time;
- Frequent need for oral, written and auditory communication;
- Frequent mobility to move about the kitchen and chocolatería; and
- Frequent repetitive hand and wrist motions.
What We Offer
- All employees receive health care, dental, and vision benefits.
- Full-time employees receive paid time off for vacations as well as set personal days.
- We pay a living wage in congruence with Orange County’s standards.
- Our employees have access to Advanced Reader’s Copies the store receives.
- Our employees receive a discount on books, food, and beverages they purchase.
- Many on our staff are poets, writers, directors, artists, teachers, and activists. You’re sure to find kindred spirits here.
- The opportunity to meet many fascinating authors and writers as they tour through Chapel Hill.
How To Apply
Send your résumé and your answers to the following questions to email@example.com.
- What are two (2) things a baker should be able to do?
- What is your favorite European pastry and why?
- How do you drink your coffee (or other brewed beverage) and why?
- If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?