We are actively seeking passionate and creative individuals who enjoy reading, are available on nights and weekends, and who have reliable transportation to the store. We prefer those with bookselling experience, but a combination of customer service experience and a passion for reading counts! We have a staff diverse in age, gender, race, language, and class; all are welcome here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide friendly, consistent, and accurate customer service;
- Alphabetize andor Stock/Re-stock supplies and product that need put away during shift, which will include climbing ladders, crouching, and lifting up to 50 pounds of books;
- Keep up-to-date on current popular books;
- Provide write-ups for new favorite books and/or recommendations on a monthly basis;
- Ensure all book online orders that come in during shift are processed and ready for delivery;
- Keep the bookstore clean;
- Balance the cash drawer;
- Take and relay accurate phone messages; and,
- Staff onsite and potentially off-site author events and book tables.
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- One (1) year customer service experience in a retail environment preferred; and
- Must enjoy reading and be able to commit to reading 3 new books a month.
- Experience with electronic cash registers, Microsoft operating systems, Microsoft Office software, and standard office equipment.
Skills & Abilities:
- Customer Service Skills: Manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments;
- Interpersonal Skills: Focus on solving conflict, not blaming; maintain confidentiality; listen to others without interrupting; keep emotions under control; remain open to others’ ideas and try new things; have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class, etc.;
- Oral Communication: Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions;
- Problem Solving Skills: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information; develop alternative solutions; use reason even when dealing with emotional topics;
- Professionalism: Ability to approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments; and
- Productivity: Complete work in a timely manner; and strive to increase productivity.
- Retail hours: Nights, weekends, some holidays
- Frequent need to lift at least fifty (50) pounds;
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time;
- Frequent need for oral, written and auditory communication;
- Frequent mobility to shelve and organize product; and
- Frequent repetitive hand and wrist motions.
What We Offer
- Our employees have access to Advanced Reader’s Copies the store receives.
- Our employees receive a discount on books, food, and beverages they purchase.
- We pay a living wage in congruence with Orange County’s standards.
- All employees receive health care, dental, and vision benefits.
- Full-time employees receive paid time off for vacations as well as set personal days.
- Many on our staff are poets, writers, directors, artists, teachers, and activists. You’re sure to find kindred spirits here.
- The opportunity to meet many fascinating authors and writers as they tour through Chapel Hill.
How To Apply
Check out the below link and fill out all the questions.