We are actively seeking passionate and creative individuals who love the smell of baked goods as much as we do. We prefer those with food service experience, but a combination of customer service experience and a passion for food counts! We have a staff diverse in age, gender, race, language, and class; all are welcome here.
NOTE: We are looking for as much availability as possible. However, bonus points if you are available nights and weekends.
Please read the below job description. If this is something you want to pursue please click on the below link to answer the screening questions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide friendly, consistent, and accurate customer service;
- Clean-up of tables between customers;
- Prepare coffee;
- Maintain coffee machine cleanliness between uses;
- Prepare and maintain chocolate for various uses;
- Stock/Re-Stock counter supplies;
- Maintain counter equipment and keep the counter clean; and,
- Occasionally fry or cook doughs prepared by Food Preparation Lead or Associate;
- High school diploma or equivalent; and,
- 9 months barista experience.
- Experience with electronic cash registers, Microsoft operating systems, Microsoft Office software, and standard office equipment;
- ServSafe Certified;
- Fluent in Spanish a plus.
Skills & Abilities:
- Customer Service Skills: Manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments;
- Interpersonal Skills: Focus on solving conflict, not blaming; maintain confidentiality; listen to others without interrupting; keep emotions under control; remain open to others’ ideas and try new things; have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class, etc.;
- Oral Communication: Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions;
- Problem Solving Skills: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information; develop alternative solutions; use reason even when dealing with emotional topics;
- Professionalism: Ability to approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments; and
- Productivity: Complete work in a timely manner; and strive to increase productivity.
- Retail hours (open availability. min. 25 per week desired): Nights, weekends, early mornings and some holidays
- Frequent need to lift at least fifty (50) pounds;
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time;
- Frequent need for oral, written and auditory communication;
- Frequent mobility to move about the kitchen and chocolatería; and
- Frequent repetitive hand and wrist motions.
What We Offer
- Our employees have access to Advanced Reader’s Copies the store receives.
- Our employees receive a discount on books, food, and beverages they purchase.
- We pay a living wage in congruence with Orange County’s standards.
- All employees receive health care, dental, and vision benefits.
- Full-time employees receive paid time off for vacation as well as a select number of paid personal days.
- Many on our staff are poets, writers, directors, artists, teachers, and activists. You’re sure to find kindred spirits here.
- There is the opportunity to meet many fascinating authors and writers as they tour through Chapel Hill.